Saturday, May 12, 2012

Seven Layer Bars


When I was in grade school and middle school, my next door neighbor and I constantly kept ourselves busy being entrepreneurs (with lemonade stands, selling little loaves of bread door-to-door, organizing a neighborhood day camp, convincing our parents to have garage sales, playing teacher, grocery store, restaurant and acting the role of an interior designer, etc.  I could go on but you get the point).  One thing we created [multiple times] was a club (Kids Club we called it).  Several girls from our neighborhood would come to my house after school where we would have a snack and then some sort of activity such as a game or craft. 

Each week a different girl would be assigned to bring the snack.  Alas, this is where I first met these bars.  I can remember eating three or four of them that afternoon, then going to church that evening and when I came back home I ate a couple more.  They were incredible!  Like nothing I had ever tasted! 

Over a decade later, these bars are still as awesome as ever- graham cracker crumbs, coconut, chocolate, and pecans...all drizzled with sweetened condensed milk...how can you go wrong?

Seven Layer Bars

Makes one 9x13-inch pan

1/2 cup butter
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Melt the butter or margarine in microwave. Pour into 9x13-inch baking pan, tilting to completely cover the bottom of pan.  Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs evenly over the melted butter.  Layer the chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans over the graham cracker crust. Pour the condensed milk over the layers.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

**I do realize that these bars do not have seven layers but that is what I have always known them as :)

Adapted from AllRecipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment