Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pepperoni Pizza Puffs


I apologize for the brief absence.  I went to visit my family for the Easter Holiday and after we came back to Texas there was a lot of catch up to do!  But here I am, back in the blogosphere.

While we were on our mini vay-cay, we got to enjoy some delicious pizza one night at a little place in Tulsa called Joe Momma's...and this nugget stood out on the menu as soon as I opened it:


Not sure if this is a good sign for Nathan and me...

Anyway, while this did sound delicious as I LOVE anything buffalo chicken style (stay tuned soon!), this wasn't one of the top contenders in ordering for our table of ten.  (We opted for Lucky 7's and The Natalie Portman in case you were curious.) 
But after arriving home and settling back into our routine, I wanted pizza and I wanted to mix things up a bit- hence Pepperoni Pizza Puffs.  These cute puffs would make a fun appetizer and have unlimited flavor options!  I'm a big supreme pizza fan so bell peppers, olives, and sausage may be in their near future!


Pepperoni Pizza Puffs

Makes 24 puffs

3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
4 oz pepperoni, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup pizza sauce (homemade or store-bought)
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, finely diced.

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Grease a 24-cup mini muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and oregano; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.

Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Warm the pizza sauce, then stir in 1 tablespoon basil. Sprinkle the puffs with the remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping.

Adapted from Beantown Baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment