Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mini Lemon(ade) Muffins

Spring has arrived.


I think it's safe to say we're finally in the clear of any reappearance of old man winter (he was stubborn this year!!)  I'm in love with this time of year: open windows, green lawns, blooming flowers.  Jackets get tucked away, shorts replace sweaters on closet shelves, "Boy Meets Grill" gets pulled from the kitchen cabinet, late night ice cream runs get made.

Mango salsa starts to sound good again, homemade salsa in general starts to sound good again (when doesn't it though, really?), even a fresh, crisp salad begins to tempt me (ok, I'm not one to order salad when dining out, but Panera's BBQ Chopped Chicken Salad could make me a convert).

Today I want to spread a little springtime lovin' with these little lemon muffins.  With just the right amount of citrus, and a super moist crumb, they are probably the best muffin I've ever put in my mouth.  Consider this my love muffin.


Mini Lemon(ade) Muffins

Makes approximately 36 mini muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon lemon rind (about half a lemon)
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk

Prepare 36 mini muffin tins with liners or spray with cooking spray.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, lemon rind, and sugar.

In a separate, small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, and milk.  Slowly add the oil mixture with the mixer on low speed until blended and smooth.

Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden and center of muffin springs back with lightly pressed. 


2 comments: