Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mom's Waldorf Salad

Let's talk traditions.


Like the one where your brother chooses the same italian restaurant year after year for his birthday.  Or the one where you bake the usual tried and true cookies with your mom and sister every Christmas.  Or the one where you and your fiance grill up a different type of burger every Sunday night during the summer.  Or the one where every time your mom cooked up her homemade chili, there was sure to be a Waldorf salad on the table that night.  And some hot and flaky popovers.  Or is all that just me?

Over the holidays my mom had a little surprise in store for the ladies in the house.  Each of us were presented with a cute Susan Branch recipe binder with which we are to fill with sweet treats and savory dishes that we share with one another.  A family cookbook, of sorts. 

This recipe was the first to go in.  Followed by my dad's famous football dip and my future sister-in-law's crazy good chocolate chip cookies.  And I'm not stopping there- my brother's challah and my sister's stuffed pasta shells are next on the list.  Gotta love family stuff.

Mom's Walforf Salad

Serves 2 (when my mom emailed the recipe to me she was sweet enough to accommodate the measurements for my blog)

1 apple
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/4 cup walnuts, broken into small pieces
1/4 cup raisins
5 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of maraschino cherry juice (you can substitute 1 teaspoon sugar)

Core and dice the apples into bite-size pieces.  In a bowl, combine the apple, celery, walnuts and raisins. 

In a small separate bowl, mix mayo with a little cherry juice (or sugar).  Pour over apple mixture and toss gently to serve. 

Adapted from my mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment