Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fresh Orange Strawberry Bundt Cake

This is a love hate relationship.


I'll just say it: this. cake. sticks.  I learned this the hard way last year (sorry, mom.  I blamed it on you for telling me to dump it out of the pan too soon.)  The result was one mess of a cake; half on the serving plate, half in the pan.  Unfortunately, I could blame mom again.  I left her in charge of spraying the bundt, afterall (and picking up my dirty dishes, used ingredients, etc.  My sous chef [baker?]).  But I know better.  This cake is just plain trouble.  Not sure if it's the "moistness", the pan itself, or it's just out to get me, but it's a pain in the bundt.

Ok, now that you're probably planning on not making this cake, let me convince you otherwise because this thing is pretty much no less than amazing.  So good, in fact, that after the fall-out last Easter (no pun intended), I was still determined to make it again this year, strictly to reexperience the deliciousness that is this cake.  Super moist, tender, light, flavorful- pretty much all the yummy adjectives that food writers frown upon. 

Don't let the sticky pan issue stop you.  Simply slice straight from the bundt.  Works like a charm.  Or grease and flour the h*$# out of it. 


Fresh Orange Strawberry Bundt Cake

Makes one (10-inch) bundt

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
Juice of 1 orange
Zest of 1 orange
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces plain or vanilla yogurt
12 ounces fresh strawberries, diced

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in orange juice and orange zest.  Alternate beating in the flour, soda, and salt and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.  Gently fold in the strawberries.

Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Allow to cool for about 45 minutes to an hour in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.  Or slice and serve straight from the pan!

Adapted from Foodista.

No comments:

Post a Comment