Saturday, February 22, 2014

Buttermilk Biscuits

I have been knocking stuff off my to-do list left and right.


I think it's just the slow pace that January and February lend after the holiday frenzy.  It's a welcome pace, and it gets me in the mood to cook and clean and craft.  I've also been on a bit of a home decor kick, brainstorming and researching potential changes to make to our little abode, and I fully intend to give the master and office a much needed facelift over the next few months, starting with this table (to be delivered by next Friday!).

But in between the furniture shopping and floor mopping, I've been able to enjoy a little more kitchen time and had the urge this afternoon to bake a batch of biscuits.  Why it took so long to do this is beyond me.  It was fun, almost therapeutic, and the buttery smell and golden crust left me itching to stay in the kitchen just a while longer (hence a couple more posts I've got lined up for you over the next few days), but today I simply give you buttermilk biscuits.


Another thing to cross off my list!

Buttermilk Biscuits

Makes 20 2-inch biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into thin slices
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
2 tablespoons buttermilk for brushing

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl. Pour flour mixture into food processor and add cold, sliced butter.  Pulse together until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (this can also be done in the large bowl using a pastry blender or two knives).

Pour mixture back into large bowl.  Make a well in the center and pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk.  Stir until just combined.

Turn dough onto a floured work surface and pat into a rectangle.  Fold rectangle in thirds.  Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle.  Repeat twice more, folding and pressing dough a total of three times.

Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2-inch thick (I just pressed with my hands, no roller needed!). Cut out biscuits using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter.  Transfer biscuits to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Press indent into the top of each biscuit with your thumb.  Brush the tops with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.  Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Adapted from AllRecipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment