Monday, February 24, 2014

Orange Bread Pudding with Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits

Biscuits: day three.


This is it.  I hope you're not sick of the word biscuit, but this is the last day of my biscuit blurb.  The grand biscuit finale, per se.

Bread pudding has always intrigued me.  I've only had it about twice in my life and both times it was pretty darn good, but it's just not really something I consider baking at home when I'm in the mood for a sweet treat (usually the term "cookie" comes to mind).  But I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make; however, it also helped that I started Saturday afternoon with the intention to simply make buttermilk biscuits, which turned into cinnamon sugar biscuits, which turned into this bread pudding.  I was just having too much fun and my creative baking juices kept flowing, so I kept going, and this was the end result: chopped cinnamon sugar biscuits drizzled with an orange sauce and baked until puffed and golden.  I really need to make these puddings more often.

Orange Bread Pudding with Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits

Makes one 9x13-inch pan

4 cups cinnamon sugar biscuits, cut into small cubes
2 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Zest of 1 orange

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and orange zest.  Pour mixture over biscuit cubes and let sit about five minutes.  Pour into greased 9x13-inch baking pan and bake, uncovered for 50 minutes until puffed and golden on top.

Adapted from Mikey's In My Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment