Friday, May 18, 2012

Berry Cheesecake Muffins



I had other plans for the cream cheese I bought last weekend.  However, plans changed and muffins were made.  I love muffins.  I love that they can be sweet or savory.  I love that they can be incorporated into almost any meal- breakfast (cake for breakfast), as a side, as a snack, or for dessert (a healthy cupcake!).

What do I love about these muffins in particular?  I love that they are half cake, half cheesecake filled with lots of berries that pop in your mouth.  I love that they are good warm straight from the oven or cold straight from the fridge.  Oh, and I love that they are kinda pretty :)

So yea, I made these muffins and I guess you now know to expect something else with cream cheese in the near future...

Berry Cheesecake Muffins

Makes 14 muffins

1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cream Cheese Filling
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon. ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter, cold

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk. Combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups one-third full.
For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth. Fold in the berries. Drop a rounded tablespoonful into the center of each muffin.

For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. (Muffin cups will be full)
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.

Adapted from Chef In Training.

2 comments: