Monday, February 25, 2013

Hot Fudge Chocolate Cakes

Consider me a domestic diva.


And I live with Mr. Fix-It.

I'd say we play our gender roles appropriately.  The decorating, organizing, laundry, and cooking?  Right up my alley (well, the laundry part might be a bit of a stretch).  All things car, technology and tool?  All Nathan.  Let's go deeper:  A couple of weeks ago I was about to toss out a bad can opener.  Nope!  Not until it's taken apart and put back together!  Here's another one: We were eating lunch out the other day and it was noticed that the restaurant's entry door didn't close properly.  This was then the project during our meal.  I was perfectly content propping my feet up on his chair, sipping tea, and browsing email on my phone.  One more:  during a recent oil change, the mechanic informed me of a $300 service that needed to be done (surprise, surprise).  I was instructed to come home where it is now being done for the combined total of twenty-six bucks.  Gotta love free labor.  (I pay in the form of sugar and butter).

So while I make ooey gooey chocolate cake, Nathan unclogs dirty, hairy sink (there's my orange bobby pin!) It works out nicely. 


ps this cake is much more exciting than Kristen Stewart at the Oscars.

Hot Fudge Chocolate Cakes

Serves 4

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup hot tap water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and 6 tablespoons of sugar.  Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla.  Mix until smooth.

Pour the mixture into 4 individual ramekins or ceramic tartlet pans (alternatively, you can pour the whole thing in a 9x5 loaf pan). 

In a separate, small bowl, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/4 cup sugar, and brown sugar.  Sprinkle evenly over the batter in each of the ramekins.  Pour hot tap water over all (3 tablespoons each).  Do not stir!

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes of until the center is set.  Serve warm and with ice cream, if you've got it!

Adapted from Becky Bakes.




1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that looks so gooey and perfect!

    Thanks for linking up to What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete