Thursday, March 7, 2013

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

So Lent.


Yeahhhh....that thing you do this time of year.  That put-down-that-soda, spit-out-that-chocolate thing.  Well, I've sorta kinda never told you all what I'm doing (yes, in addition to my 26-by-27 and my new years resolutions- this is getting out of control, I know).  To be perfectly honest, I never really intended to do anything.  I gave up Dr. Pepper one year, I think I gave up chocolate another year (maybe? dunno.), it usually involved giving up something.  Well, I'm sorry, but my single soda a week just isn't that big of a threat and my absurd sweet tooth isn't going to handle 40 days without sugar, so yeah, like I said...wasn't planning on being a participant.

But on Ash Wednesday night, I had a revelation (no pun intended).  My plan of choice: eat more fruits and veggies.  Two per day, to be exact (my goals have to be measureable- it's the perfectionist in me).  Now here's where I admit that I never eat fruits and veggies.  Unless they come in the form of salsa or dotted in soups, their existence in nil.  It's not something I'm proud of.

That changes now (uh, technically 23 day ago), and I'm eating them in their purest form.  Not banana bread, not strawberry cake.  Ketchup doesn't count either.  Apple slices and melon cubes.  I'm now a participant!  Hallelujah! 

[ps this soup is awesome.  no, it's really awesome, i've just talked your ear off, but make it.  it's zesty and awesome.  and veggie-ful]

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

Serves 2

1 pound roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 40 minutes.
In a large stockpot, heat the other 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, italian seasoning and broth. Stir in the oven roasted tomatoes. Cook for about 30 minutes over medium-low heat.

Use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the stockpot, or transfer soup to a food processor or blender to blend. The soup should be smooth, with a few tomato chunks. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve warm.

Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment