Saturday, October 12, 2013

Double Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

It's high time I made you a pie.


But this is not your ordinary pumpkin pie (thank goodness because, if I'm being honest...and I'm going to be...I don't really like pumpkin pie).  I'm in the pecan pie camp.  And after last year, I'm in the apple pie camp as well.  But this pie here might just make me a pumpkin pie convert.

After last years pumpkin kiss cookies (one of my most popular posts, per readers) and the triple chocolate cupcakes with pumpkin pie frosting (one of my most popular posts, per me), I decided to kick pumpkin pie up a notch with the addition of chocolate. 

Melted morsels get mixed into the classic pie filling, which then gets poured into a chocolate oreo crust.  I opted for pre-made because I'm lazy, which isn't news to you considering I wrote one measly blog post during the entire month of September.  I'm ashamed.  I'm sorry.  So I made you a pie.


Double Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

Makes 1 (9-inch) pie

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 can (15-ounce) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (12-ounce) evaporated milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 prepared Oreo pie crust (homemade or store bought)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Melt chocolate and butter in large sauce pan over medium-low heat stirring constantly until melted (stir constantly to prevent burning the chocolate!).  Once blended, turn off stove and stir in pumpkin.  Whisk in milk, sugar, and eggs.  Add cornstarch, vanilla, salt, and spices.  Whisk until combined.  Pour mixture into prepared pie crust (I had extra filling).  Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes until center is set but still jiggly.  Let cool before slicing and serving.  Store leftovers in fridge.

Adapted from Closet Cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Chocolate and pumpkin, what a great pie combination! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete