Monday, October 29, 2012

Triple Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Pie Frosting

I'm a genius.


Let's reminisce.  So remember how I mentioned that chocolate and pumpkin are basically a match made in heaven?  And remember how my parents came into town last weekend for a visit?  Well my mom knows me well because she brought me a gift: some cupcake liners (it's the little things).  This prompted a mission: What can I do with these adorable liners before Halloween escapes me and turkeys and Christmas trees are in full swing? 

Hmmmm....

I must preface what I'm about to tell you by saying that I am a FROM SCRATCH baker.  Meaning I don't really do the whole box cake mix thing [which is odd because #1: I currently have 5 (yes FIVE, no lie) boxes of cake mix on my baking shelf in the pantry because for some reason I have this weird obsession with buying anything that I feel will be the base of some new and fabulous creation.  And because I have the Cake Doctor cookbook which has some pretty fabulous ideas.  And because, quite frankly, it's cheap.  And #2: I basically ate my weight in pillsbury confetti cake the summer of my senior year in college.  (what can I say- it made the perfect late night after the bar food- seriously people).  I need to create a from-scratch version of this sprinkle-filled cake.  Consider it added to The List.]

Ok, so in short, yes.  This is a cake using The Box.  Some of you may be happy to hear this, some of you may not.  But let me inform you that this is the recipe of my favorite chocolate cake recipe EVER.  And I'm a white cake person at heart; however, for some crazy reason this cake recipe is SOOO good that I actually ask my sister to make it for me in bundt cake form for my birthday every year (p.s. this is her recipe so give her a big fat thanks).  Not white cake, not confetti cake, not cookie cake- I want chocolate cake.  From a box.  It's that good. 

And chocolate cake topped with pumpkin pie?  Well, does this really sound like a bad idea to you?  I didn't think so.  Like I said...I'm a genius.


Triple Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Pie Frosting

For the cake:

Makes 26 cupcakes (or fills one bundt pan)

1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 (3.4 ounce) box sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix (regular is fine too)
1 (3.4 ounce) box sugar-free instant white chocolate pudding mix (regular is fine too)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Blend cake mix and puddings until combined.  Add in eggs, water and applesauce and mix until moistened (at medium speed for 2 minutes).  Fold in chocolate chips.   

Divide batter into 26 prepared cupcake tins.  Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool completely before topping with Pumpkin Pie Frosting.

**For a bundt pan, bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

For the frosting:

This is basically pumpkin pie without the crust so if you already happen to have a pumpkin pie on hand, you can either scoop the pie filling out of the crust or blend the crust into the frosting.

2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat eggs.  Stir in sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.  Mix in pumpkin.  Stir in evaporated milk. 

Pour into lightly greased 9-inch pie plate (no crust needed).  Bake for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.  Remove from oven and leave on counter for two hours before use.

**The pie will pipe better if you put it in a large mixing bowl and beat it for about thirty seconds to evenly distribute any moisture before loading it into your pastry bag.  

Cake Adapted from my sister, Melissa.
Frosting Adapted from Cupcake Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment