Monday, January 28, 2013

Doritos Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is nacho ordinary chocolate chip cookie.


Let me start by saying we have a lot of chips in our pantry.  At this moment: Tostitos, Doritos, Zapps, Mission, Kettle, and more.  But remember that crazy chocolate chip grilled cheese I mentioned a few months ago?  And remember those salt and vinegar filled junk food cookies I baked up?  Wonder where the idea for these cookies came from?  It's a simple math problem, really.

It starts off with a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe straight from the kitchen of my unofficial sister-in-law, Jackie (official sister-in-law this June!).  Now she claims she's no cook, but the ooey gooey brownies and white chocolate trail mix she totes around and into my life beg to differ.  She brought these cookies to the lake once, sans the nacho cheese, of course, and I demanded requested the recipe ASAP.  I've made them in the traditional form, but this time I decided to funk things up a bit, adding to its soft and chewy texture by tossing in a classic chip.  Do not be afraid.  The chip adds in a very subtle flavor with a slightly salty crunch.  It's a good thing, promise. 

So I'm sorry, Jackie, for dorito-izing what can only be described as a fabulous chocolate chip cookie.  My blog made me do it.


Doritos Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes 12 large cookies or 24 small cookies

3/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup crushed nacho cheese Doritos

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. 

In medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.  Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy.  Mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt until just blended.  Fold in the chocolate chips and crushed chips.  (At this point, I let my dough rest for a few minutes to firm up slightly).  Drop cookie dough on to the prepared cookie sheets. 

Bake at 325 for 10 to 12 minutes (for small cookies), closer to 15 for larger cookies or until edges are lightly toasted.  Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Adapted from Jackie. 




1 comment:

  1. Doritos?? In a cookie? Nacho average cookie, fo sho.

    I like it. :)

    Thanks for linking up to What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete