Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cranberry Cornbread

Martha Stewart made a boo boo.


And I'm not talking about a scary ghost boo boo.  She made a remark that horrified bloggers everywhere. 

See for yourself {video at 1:40}.

Read for yourself {below}:

“Who are these bloggers? They’re not trained editors and writers at Vogue magazine. I mean, there are bloggers writing recipes that aren’t tested, that aren’t necessarily very good or are copies of everything that really good editors have created and done. Bloggers create kind of a ‘popularity‘. But they are not the experts and we have to understand that.”

Ouch.

Now I have been a Martha fan for as long as I can remember (was I the only nerd who enjoyed watching Martha Stewart Living on summer mornings during my adolescence?), and I'll admit I'm no trained professional, nor is everyone going to love every one of my recipes (heck, there are plenty of recipes I post that Nathan doesn't like- this means I eat the whole pie).  No one is editing my [random] writing (editors would probably cry if they had to proofread my weekly blurbs) and I'm far from the domestic diva Martha is, but, unfortunately, that comment left a sour taste in my mouth. 

To me, blogging is a creative outlet.  I share whatever I want to whoever is interested and try new things in the kitchen just so I can indulge the handful of people who are actually reading this little corner of the internet that is mine.  It's fun, it steps me outside of my usual culinary comfort zone, and I'm definitely not in it for the money (I've probably made about 25 cents since the inception of Serves Two, and if I were more motivated to make it "big"- because you can make a big chunk of change if you put your heart and soul into a blog- I might just dabble in some advertising and whatnot), but I do it for me.  And for you, whoever is reading this. 

I get ideas from magazines, cookbooks, the internet, television, and two of my favorite sources for information: my brain and other blogs.  Blogs are real.  They're people just like you and me cooking in their own kitchen, taking pictures with their own cameras, sitting down at their own computer and sharing with the world wide web.  You don't get quite the same realness when you're flipping through Bon Appetit,...or Vogue

So today I give you Cranberry Cornbread.  A buttery crusted cornbread tossed with fresh and dried cranberries imparting both tartness and sweetness, then baked in a skillet.  The recipe just so happened to originally have come from Martha, but I found it on a blog.  And the cranberry addition?  It was my own idea.  And it's a good thing.

Cranberry Cornbread

Makes one (8-inch) skillet (double recipe for 10.25 or 12 inch skillet)

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and, using a rubber spatula or large wooden spoon, stir the batter together until completely combined.  Toss cranberries with 1 tablespoon cornmeal.  Fold into batter.
Put the butter in a 8-inch cast iron skillet and place the pan in the oven until the butter is melted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven, swirl the butter around to coat the bottom and sides, then pour the batter into the pan. Smooth the top and bake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes. 

Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.  Originally from Martha Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment