Sunday, February 23, 2014

Mom's Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits

I'd say I had a pretty good childhood.


I grew up in a nice neighborhood, attended a fairly reputable school system, was exposed to music (took piano lessons third grade to my senior year- my brother and I still play a mean Heart and Soul), sports (tried ice skating, soccer, and tennis, but in the end the only sport I got into was Sporty Spice), and religious activities (oh how I wish I could still attend camp and it wouldn't be weird).

My parents took us on trips (heck, they still do), put me through college, even hired their lawyer to help find my dog when I lost her three years ago (this is a story for another day- or a novel...mom.  Or just wait for the movie.  It's a crazy story.)  They've never failed to show their love for their children (my mom still insists I take anything I want from the pantry after I come for a visit) and their love for each other (just the other day my sister and I were talking about how my dad has always been so good about showing his love for my mom...42 years of marriage later).

Growing up, my mom often made these cinnamon rolls as a fun treat for a weekend breakfast.  Now her forte isn't exactly baking (she can bake, she just prefers to cook the savory stuff.  And she's good at it. She's part Martha Stewart sans the blogger bashing and criminal record), but she sure makes a killer cinnamon roll. I'll admit, she just used the biscuits from a can, which you can absolutely do too (ps I actually bought some Pillsbury as a back up plan), but I figured I would jazz up a few of my buttermilk biscuits with some childhood memories.  My mom is a genius.

Mom's Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits

Makes 20 2-inch biscuits (or 10 Pillsbury biscuits)

1 recipe buttermilk biscuits (or 1 (12-ounce can) of 10 Pillsbury biscuits)
1/4 cup butter, melted in small bowl
1/4 cup sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more, depending on your preference), blended in small bowl

Prepare biscuits according to recipe (or can) directions.  Before baking, dredge each biscuit in melted butter then in sugar-cinnamon mixture.  Place on prepared baking sheet and bake according to recipe directions.

Adapted from my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment