Monday, January 21, 2013

Creamed Corn and Cheddar Cornbread

I apparently talked in my sleep Friday night.


After arriving home late after an evening out with some co-workers, Nathan decided to [try to] wake me:

Nathan:  are you asleep? (while shaking me.  can't a girl get some beauty rest around here?!)
Me: --
Nathan:  did you get my text? 
Me:  (unconsciously coming to) I got the first two.
Nathan:  What about the last one?  (the one that I read the next morning where he declared having drank nine margaritas.  drank or drunk?  drunk might be appropriate here)
Me:  --
Me:  that shirt you're holding...
Nathan: (stares at his empty hands)
Me: it's not even on sale for half off.
Nathan:   even in your sleep you're taking about sales!
I eventually come to (Nathan is in the process of pulling up his video recorder on his phone.  Lovely.), I am informed of the conversation, we both have a brief giggle fit and I promptly pass back out.  What can I say...I get excited about a good sale.  It's not a terribly big surprise I was dreaming of them at one in the morning.

I also get pretty excited about finding more uses for my new skillet!  Enter: this cornbread.  It's similar to the one I've posted in the past, with the addition of creamed corn, onions, and more cheese.  How can you go wrong with those additions though, really?  Oh, and might I add my favorite way to eat a wedge of this stuff?  Topped with melted cheddar and warmed salsa.  Best.  Idea.  Ever.


Creamed Corn and Cheddar Cornbread

Makes one 10-inch skillet (or an 8-by-8 inch baking dish)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup buttermilk (I used a mixture of 2/3 cup milk + 2 teaspoons white vinegar.  Mix and let sit for five minutes before adding to flour mixture.)
2 large eggs
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup canned creamed corn
1/4 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
2 to 3 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. If using an 8-inch-square baking dish instead, simply grease the bottom of the dish with some of the butter and place the remainder in the bottom of the dish. Set the skillet or dish aside.

Sift the flour blend, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda together into a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk and eggs together well. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to thoroughly mix.  Fold in the cheese, creamed corn, green onions and chiles and stir until well combined.

Pour the mixture into the prepared skillet or baking dish and dab a bit more butter on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown. Leave to cool in the pan or dish a few minutes before slicing and serving while warm.

Adapted from Food Network Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment