Thursday, January 10, 2013

Garlic Bread Buttermilk Biscuits

So I was in Target the other day...


It's a disease, really. 

I saw all of their cute v-day stuff out and p.s. I want it all.  And I saw swim suits.  The first week of January.  We're apparently in summer mode people.  Now I know this is nothing new, we see this every year.  But every year it amazes me.  Who in their right mind wants to try on a bathing suit in January?!  Post-holiday cookie binge.  Pale, dry skin.  And the layers!!  You're peeling off scarf, coat, sweater, shirt, shoes, socks, pants, omgtoomuchwork.  And don't get me started on all the static going on. 

I'm just not ready for this yet; I'm still in soups, stews and sweatpants mode.  So guess what I threw in my basket during my weekly Target run?  You got it- sweatpants.  And a cute, stripey sweater.  And some fleece pj pants.  Gotta love Target clearance.  Then I went home and made this bread for dinner: a cheat-by-throwing-it-in-a-loaf-pan-biscuit with a garlic bread twist.  Salty, buttery, and perfect on a cold night. 

So while all those suckers are crying in the mirror and paying full price for a swim suit, I'll be cozy at home, sitting in my clearance sweatpants dredging these biscuits in a hot bowl of soup.

Garlic Bread Buttermilk Biscuits

Makes one 9x5 loaf pan (double recipe for an 8x8)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk (I used a mixture of 3/4 cup milk + 1 tablespoon milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar.  Mix and let sit for five minutes before adding to flour mixture)

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. 

Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave and stir in the garlic, garlic powder and dried oregano.  Pour the garlic and herb butter into the prepared baking dish.  Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add the buttermilk (or milk mixture) and mix until you get a smooth, thick batter.  Spoon the batter on top of the garlic butter. Smooth as much as possible with a spatula so it’s evenly distributed.

Bake for 15-17 minutes (20-25 for 8x8 pan), or until golden and cooked through.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Place a plate upside down on top of the baking pan, then flip so the bread comes out with the buttery part on top.  Slice and serve.

Adapted from Katherine Martinelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment