Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder

This is by no means a sexy soup.


But it got cold so I made it and I ate it and I loved it so now I share it.  Yup it got real cold.  Cold enough to put me in the mood for a little pre-Christmas-in-Colorado boot shopping.  Too bad I spotted these and now I find myself daydreaming about owning them but I just can't justify the price when a) I live in Texas where b) there's no snow so I'd basically c) look like a fool.  No sexy mountain boots for me.

Once old man winter kicks in though, I make a lot of soup (and I wear a lot of sweatpants.  and I drink a lot of chai).  Usually my soup consists of whatever I've got lying around the house: a can of diced tomatoes, the remains of a green bell, a handful of onion, a dash of cumin, a pinch of salt.  I just pull stuff out of the fridge, off the spice rack, and bam!  soup du jour.  Then I eat my non-sexy soup in my non-sexy sweats while I browse sexy boots.            

Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder

Serves 2

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Melt butter in medium-sized pot over medium-high heat on the stove.  Add onion and garlic and sprinkle with pepper; cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add corn and cook another minute.  Sprinkle with flour and toss to coat.  Stir in chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer, cooking until slightly thickened.  Add chicken and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted and blended.  Add salt to taste, if necessary.  

Chelsea Original :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment