Friday, December 6, 2013

Quick and Easy Small Batch Chunky Marinara

I'm getting a little stir crazy.


The ice has me stuck inside.  Which means I don't have to work (woo hoo!), but it also means no Target runs, no Christmas shopping, no lunch dates (boo hoo).  I've slept in, I've cleaned the shower, I've washed the linen, I've attempted to defrost my windshield, I've succumbed to the fact I'm not leaving the driveway.  I had grand plans for the weekend like knocking off all my gift shopping, a trip to California Pizza Kitchen, and a little stop in Ikea but nope, not gonna happen.

Nothing left to do but throw on my grandma sweater, light up the tree, step in the kitchen and make a little pot of marinara (and knead up some fresh bread, but that post is for another day).  I've made this sauce a few times before, usually when I've had a busy day and am in a hurry to serve dinner (which was not exactly the case on this lazy afternoon, but it also works well when you're limited to what you have on hand).  If you can chop up an onion and open a couple of cans you can make this sauce.  Then serve up a romantic pasta dinner to the one that loves you even when it's just the two of you trapped in the house with a couple of dogs, who will tolerate your random outbursts of Christmas carols, and kind of likes your grandma sweater. 

Quick and Easy Small Batch Chunky Marinara

Serves 2-3

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 to 6 minutes until crisp-tender, stirring frequently.

Mix in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, salt, oregano, parsley, basil, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until flavors are blended, stirring frequently.

Adapted from AllRecipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment