Monday, October 1, 2012

Spicy Spanish Turkey Meatball Stew

I just couldn't help myself...


Yes, I realize every food blog out there is kicking off October with something involving pumpkin puree (oh and don't you worry, I've got a few up my sleeve as well), but I figured I would start things off a little different.  With soup.  Well, stew actually, but that's just a technicality. 

Let me be honest:  we're obsessed with soup in this house.  Nathan and I spent a good chunk of our college days feasting on grilled cheese sandwiches dredged in tomato soup (remember the mean grilled cheese that Nathan makes?).  And it was a pretty rainy weekend down here in Texas putting me in the mood to flip open that new food network magazine lying on the coffee table that just so happens to feature a bowl of tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons on the cover (this issue was made for us!).  So straight to the soups I searched...leading me to this little gem of a stew.  I already had everything on hand (even had some ground turkey thawing for potential barbecue burgers Sunday night, but plans changed for that turkey). 

This is the perfect meal for the upcoming cold nights- hot and spicy warming you all the way through.  (I may have said "whew! spicy!" a few times during this meal).  Delicious served with fresh bread to sop up the juices left in the bowl and to help mellow out the heat :)

Spicy Spanish Turkey Meatball Stew

Serves 2 (heartily) or 3 (reasonably)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch kosher salt and ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup sliced small carrots
1 14-ounce can low-sodium diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup frozen kernel corn
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for topping

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer half of the mixture to a large bowl.

Add the paprika and carrots to the remaining onion mixture in the skillet and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and corn; bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 6 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the ground turkey, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to the bowl with the reserved onion mixture and mix with your hands. Form the turkey mixture into 8 meatballs. Place the meatballs in the skillet with the sauce and simmer, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Serve with cilantro.

Adapted from Food Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment