Saturday, February 1, 2014

Banana Butterscotch Pudding Cakes

We've decided to have children.


Whoa whoa whoa, we're not having kids yet, ....mom, we just broached the subject at lunch today.  (heck we're not even married yet (officially, anyway)).  Truth be told, we've never really had this conversation.  Yes, in five and a half years we haven't exactly talked about having kids (we've talked more about not having kids), but then my sister went and got knocked up fours years ago by my brother-in-law and now I want one too (thanks Mel, thanks). 

So today, over tacos the topic came up.  I'm not exactly sure how... somewhere in between chips and salsa we landed on talking about our house- what we like (location, location, location) and what we dislike (two-story, layout, floors), and what we'd like in a future home.  This is the part where I [casually] mentioned I still want the three bed/two bath plan- two extra rooms- one for a guest, one for an office-later-turned-children's-bedroom.  Oh yes I went there, and we had The Talk. 

Later when we got home, I was checking email and saw I had a comment on a blog post.  This is HUGE people.  I had an actual comment from an actual stranger who actually made a recipe and took time out of her day to tell me how wonderful it was.  (comments on my blog usually take form during my weekly Sunday night phone call with my parents where my mom then tells me she enjoyed my blog post the other day.  Thanks mom, thanks).  Anyway, this little comment put me on a little high and I decided to come back from my blog vacation and share something I've had stashed away.  I have tried to write many posts but sometimes I have trouble with my words- I have a lot I want to say, but at the same time I feel I have nothing to say- and end up hitting "delete" before I hit "publish".  So today I said screw it.  I will ramble today.  About tacos, and children, and Sunday night phone calls, and comments from strangers.

And I will probably ramble later this week too.

Oh, and another reason for my absence?  I blame Dexter.

Banana Butterscotch Pudding Cakes

Serves 4

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg yolk
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter, melted

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/3 cup boiling water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.  Add the sugar.  In another bowl, mix together the egg yolk, mashed banana, milk, vanilla extract and melted butter. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Pour into four small ramekins with enough room to pour the sauce over top.  These pudding cakes have a habit of overflowing their goodness so place the dish on a baking sheet. 

To make the sauce, place the brown sugar, corn syrup and boiling water in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil then drizzle over the cake (this could also be done in the microwave, just cook until boiling).  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly firm in the center.  Allow the cake to sit for 5 to 10 minutes then serve.

Adapted from Anecdotes and Apple Cores.

No comments:

Post a Comment