Friday, February 7, 2014

Flourless Chocolate Cake

It's time for my [belated] annual post on resolutions...


Learn a language, get more sleep, organize my family recipe album, refinish the office desk, invest in a new computer, read every day, walk the dog, exercise, create wall photo collage, blog more, pray more, love more, call home more, hold hands more, travel more, laugh more. 

Now I didn't exactly make any resolutions, per se.  I made more of a long (and on-going) list of things to change and improve within myself.  Projects I want to tackle, purchases I need to make, emotions I need to express.  Just a hodge podge of self-improvements.  I've always been a list-maker, goal-setter, go-getter  (although, sometimes I wish I could forgo the pen and paper reminders and allow myself the spontaneity and freedom away from the post-it), however, that will never be me, and that's ok.  I'm a planner.  I am who I am- yes, this phrase came from a much loved quotes list stored in my phone.  And this recipe came from a much neglected goals list stored on my blog. 

I've had Flourless Chocolate Cake on my Kitchen Bucket List for quite some time now, and what better reason to bake this sinful chocolate beauty than for Valentine's Day (or simply for a chocolate lover, if nothing else).  It's rich and fudgy and gooey with a delightfully simple list of only five ingredients.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Makes one 8-inch round

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.

Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 20 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate  Dust cake with additional cocoa powder or powdered sugar.

Adapted from Epicurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment