Saturday, February 15, 2014

Fire Roasted Tomato Black Bean Soup

All this valentines stuff gets me a little relationship reminiscent.


So I decided to open up my Nathan Box.  Do other couples do this?  I assumed so until I spoke with a friend at work the other day who seemed surprised by my little collection of all things Nathan- love notes, football tickets, a random rock, birthday cards.  It's tempting to say the idea was all mine (my older sister had a boyfriend when she was in high school and I distinctly remember a flower-covered box containing all things Tim), however, I'm pretty sure Nathan was the one who got the ball rolling to preserve our love mementos (he was the uber mushy one in our first few months together- [this is a good thing!].  and yes, Nathan has his own box for me, too.)

As I browsed through old Chinese takeout fortunes (he who loves you will follow you) and handmade coupons (Car Wash- only 20 kisses *limited time only),  I came across a thoughtful bookmark he had left between two pages of a novel I was reading: And then the heroic Nathan, God of Love, rescued the most beautiful Princess in the history of the world!  And they lived happily ever after.  The End.  I also had to laugh at the Valentine envelope with the label It took 1,000 kisses to seal this envelope.  And the note that read I love your toosh.  and toes and nose and arms and teeth and hair and how you talk!  I love you.

And yes, I was sweetly greeted Friday afternoon with flowers and chocolates, but even after this month of love is over it's always nice for the random acts of affection.  Like with this soup.  Nathan loves this soup. It's slightly spicy and super easy and so delicious and has been requested so often over the last month that I make sure to always have a can of beans on hand.  And while it's not exactly something you can keep in a box, it's just another way to say I love you.

Fire Roasted Tomato Black Bean Soup

Serves 2 (with leftovers)

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 of a yellow onion, chopped
pinch of salt and pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes (do not drain)
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
Juice of half a lime
Salt to taste

Heat oil in medium pot over medium-high heat.  Add onion with a pinch of salt and pepper and saute until golden, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook one minute.  Stir in chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes and cumin.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in lime juice and salt, if necessary (I often add about 1/4 teaspoon). Puree about two-thirds of soup using an immersion blender or in batches using a blender or food processor.  Let simmer in pot until ready to serve.

Chelsea Original :)

No comments:

Post a Comment