Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Corn and Cheddar Quinoa

I did it...



I've been smothering you with a lot of sweet stuff lately so I figured it was high time for something savory.  Something I've been wanting to make and try for quite a while now.  Something people all over America are raving about.  I finally made quinoa!  (And in order to do this I finally broke down and purchased the 12-ounce, five bucks a pop box).

But it was money well spent.

I have been curious about this latest craze and last night I hopped on the bandwagon and experienced all the grainy glory that is quinoa.  This particular version was cheesy and salty and...corny...?  In other words, it was fantastic and I'm officially hooked.  End of story.


Corn and Cheddar Quinoa

Serves 2-3

3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, freshly grated
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat.  Add in corn kernels and sprinkle with pepper and salt.  Cook until warmed and golden (about 7 minutes).  Set aside.
Add quinoa and chicken stock to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 15-18 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Immediately stir in butter and cheddar. Add in corn and stir to combine, then top with a bit of fresh cilantro.

Adapted from How Sweet It Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment