Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Favorite Banana Bread

I almost forgot to put bananas in this banana bread.


It's true.  I was literally standing over the loaf pan about to pour in the batter when I snapped out of a brief banana-not-on-the-brain funk and shouted "omg the bananas!"  Back to the mixer we go.  Just a tad embarrassing.  I would have had to title this post My Favorite...uhh Bread. 

So anyway, I want to introduce you to my favorite banana bread.  I first made a loaf of this about two years ago.  In fact, I remember making it and munching on it during the car trip to Tulsa when my adorable nephew was born.  It's a rather healthy version using no butter, and instead subbing in applesauce.  I was tempted to try it using butter this time but why change a good thing, ya know?  So I put the stick back in the fridge and grabbed the jar of applesauce.  (I definitely don't recommend doing this substitution frequently as it often results in a gummy texture- capital YUCK) but the addition of sour cream and sliced (not mashed) bananas make this hands down the best banana bread I've ever had. 


My Favorite Banana Bread

Makes one 9x5-inch loaf

1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 medium bananas, sliced thin (not mashed)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  In large bowl, stir together the applesauce and sugars.  Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well.  Fold in the sour cream.  Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir into the egg mixture until smooth.  Fold in sliced bananas.  Spread evenly into prepared 9x5-inch loaf pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.  Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Adapted from AllRecipes.






3 comments:

  1. This has been a GREAT recipe!! I'm the type that doesn't really measure, I scoop, palmfull, pinch, etc. I followed the recipe as closely as I could on the first go round. I added about ¼ c.of crushed unsalted cashews, did muffins on half the bake time ish, and they turned out AMAZING!!

    Second time around, I subbed plain yogurt for the sour cream. They turned out a bit more dense. I also cut sugars in half (personal preference and trying to be more healthy), added ½ c.of crushed unsalted cashews and a palmfull of sunflower seeds. DELISH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and, ditto on the muffins and half the bake time. :)

      Delete
    2. thank you so much for your wonderful comment! it made my day! and I'm so happy to hear how much you love the recipe :)

      Delete