Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Confetti Cake Pie (with a graham cracker crust!)

Happy Birthday!...


...to me!! 

Well, unfortunately, my birthday fell on a Monday this year, which is the start of a work week (boo!), but fortunately, this means I get to celebrate both the weekend before and the weekend after (woo!)! 

So to start things off I made a cake.  Or a pie.  It's essentially a confetti cake baked in a graham cracker crust, so I hereby declare this a cake pie.  And it's my birthday, so I make the rules.

Now yes, this is a cake without the frosting, but no frosting needed here, my friends.  The graham crust adds a subtle sweetness to each and every bite, which works out well for me because, quite frankly, I have icing issues (I reattempted the Flag Cake over the weekend and FAIL- it has now been nixed from the newly renamed 26-during-27 list). 

As far as where the idea came from for this crazy combo?  I have no idea*.  But it was so good, I'm tempted to make another as the celebration continues this weekend with a very welcome two-day visit from my parents :)


*Another year older, another year wiser.

Confetti Cake Pie

Makes one 8 or 9-inch pie

Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 9 full-sheet graham crackers)
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar

Cake:
 6 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 + 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 + 1/8 cup yellow or white boxed cake mix
1/4 cup sprinkles

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  If using graham cracker sheets, using a food processor or blender, pulverize the graham crackers into a fine crumb. Pour crumbs into a medium bowl and mix with melted butter and sugar. Press into an ungreased 8-inch or 9-inch pie dish.  Bake for 8 minutes.  While baking, prepare the cake filling.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.  Mix in the eggs and vanilla.  Add the flour and cake mix and mix until just combined.  Fold in the sprinkles.  Spread gently into warmed crust. 

Increase oven temperature to 350.  One preheated, bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool to room temperature before cutting into wedges. 










No comments:

Post a Comment