Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mini Fresh Strawberry Cakes

This one's for you...


dad.

[and Uncle David, too]*

I received an early birthday present (yes, I've mentioned it's my birthday month once before, and you will hear about it again)!  My lovely Aunt and Uncle presented me with this Nordicware Flower Cake Pan last weekend and I wasted no time in putting it to use.  These are the same wonderful people who have given me my Le Creuset French Oven and Soup Bowls, the kitchen towel seen in this post, and this super cute petite popover pan

They know me oh-so-well.

What to make, what to make? Fresh strawberry cake.

I first made this cake in traditional cake pan form a couple of years ago for Easter and it was a huge hit.  I've wanted to bake it ever since, but I make a lot of strawberry cake at the bakery every week, so it's always nice to play around in the kitchen at home and during the holidays, thus, it hasn't been made since, which is a bit of a tragedy because this is strawberry cake at its finest.  Bright and cheery too, it's the perfect thing to present dad this Father's Day to say "hey dad! you're kinda awesome. and i kinda love you, too" (don't be afraid to say that last part, he'll kinda appreciate it). 


Mini Fresh Strawberry Cakes

Makes 6 Flowers (+ a few mini cupcakes) or 1 (8-inch) cake round**

6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup pureed strawberries
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
Pink or red food coloring

Generously grease six flower pans (or one cake pan).  In medium mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar.  Add the egg yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk and whisk until blended.  Blend in the pureed strawberries and a few drops of food coloring (I got a little happy here, hence my dark cakes).  Fold in the flour, baking soda and salt and whisk until no lumps remain.

Divide the batter between the pans, filling about two-thirds full.  Discard remaining batter or use for a few mini cupcakes (I got 7).  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Move to a cooling rack and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges, if needed, and invert the pan to release the cakes.  Cool completely and decorate as desired. 

*Also dedicated to Adam, father to my beautiful nephew, Benjamin!
**If you want to make a two or three-inch layer cake, double or triple the recipe as needed.

Adapted from A Good Appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment