Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sweet Corn and Bacon Chicken Salad

I'm pretty pumped.


You see, this weekend my little brother is getting married!  (Yes, both him and my sister have Nathan and me beat, despite the fact that we've been together at least one year longer than either of them.  Not that this is a contest or anything...), but yea, I'm seriously excited.  And I must say, he's tying the knot with one really great girl.

Their gift is wrapped; (multiple!) dresses have been bought (ahem...four...); travel arrangements, dinner plans, and hotel accommodations have been made; haircut and pedicure are taking place this afternoon.  It's definitely going to be a fun and family-filled weekend!  Needless to say, things have been busy (and I'm not even the bride!).  So what's a great thing to have on hand during those busy busy weeks (which, who are we kidding, is every week)?  Chicken salad, my friends.

I tend to get on a bit of a chicken salad kick come summer.  Last year I treated you to greek, southwest, and peach and honey mustard versions, and now I'm starting up again with corn and bacon.  I love love love having a batch of this stuff in the fridge, ready to spoon between two slices of bread or picked at straight from the bowl.  As I nibbled on this I thought about how to describe the flavor (maybe a little too hard, actually), but it's definitely a little different than the more traditional, tangy mayo variations.  It's got a zesty kick from the paprika, and a salty smokiness from the bacon and dijon.  It's a good thing though, if you're into that sort of thing, and if your brother is getting married in a few days. 


Sweet Corn and Bacon Chicken Salad

Makes about 4 cups

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
2/3 cup plain greek yogurt (I used one [5.3-ounce] Oikos container)
1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 cup cooked sweet corn kernels
4 bacon slices, fried and crumbled
4 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons chives (or 2 teaspoons dried)
Add shredded chicken to a large bowl and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Add yogurt and mustard, tossing well to coat, then fold in the corn, bacon, green onions, and chives. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.

Adapted from How Sweet It Is.


No comments:

Post a Comment