Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sweet Crescent Rolls

We need to talk.


First off, yes, my little brother got married last weekend, as I previously mentioned.  No one got cold feet, thank goodness, but those four days were filled with so much good food, drink, family, and laughter that I think my brother needs to get married every weekend.  Needless to say, the daily grind kinda stinks.

So while they're away on a tropical honeymoon (capital JEALOUS), we're back in Texas and I'm staring at my 26-by-27 list.  Things don't look good here people.  I'm turning 27 in less than two weeks and, quite frankly, I have a feeling I won't be crossing off all 26 items by the twenty-fourth of June.  Although I have had some pretty good margaritas (#8), and there is a fresh coconut sitting on our kitchen counter (#7), and I have purchased both the paint and the furniture piece that I intend to refinish (#23), it appears as though I've only accomplished about one-third of the list (yes, I'm being generous here). 

Hence, I'm going to make a new game plan.  In the meantime, though, I'm going to make rolls, because every newly wed housewife could use a good crescent recipe.  A flaky, buttery roll that makes you feel all domestic and homey and Martha Stewart-esque.  And with all those unessential (but oh-so-necessary) culinary-inspired wedding gifts, you could even deep fry them (weird? maybe just stick with battered chicken and twinkies).


Sweet Crescent Rolls

Makes 24 rolls

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one .25-ounce packet)
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter, softened and cut up into small pieces

Combine yeast, water, and milk in mixer fitted with dough hook and allow yeast to proof for 10 minutes or until foamy.  Mix in the egg, sugar, and salt.  Gradually add the flour and butter, alternating between the two, until the dough comes together (you may need less flour, you may need more, just start with 3 cups and then add it a quarter cup at a time until the dough becomes tacky, yet pliable).

Turn dough out into a greased bowl and cover loosely with a kitchen towel.  Let rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size. 

Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12-inch circle and cut each circle into 12 wedges (a pizza cutter works well here). Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until golden.

Adapted from AllRecipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment