I'm gonna be honest with you. First, yes, I turn 27 on Monday. I won't lie about my age. Yet.
Secondly, the 26-by-27 thing. Well...let's have a look:
Oh wait....I have added a little comment/update/lol at myself/admittance of failure at the end of each goal (see the purple). I have no shame. Read for your pleasure, or don't, that's cool too, because there's no fancy picture of food at the end and no recipe to be found either. Sorry folks.
Oh, and what's going to happen now? Well, I will continue to work on accomplishing this list of course and heck, maybe I'll even add something to it. I'm crazy like that.
1. Revamp blog. (I really want to change the look and do some other things I am trying to figure out as a newbie to the blogosphere.) - Done! But always a work in progress. As you can see, the site has changed and looks a bit simpler- clean lines, white with hints of color- more of the look I was going for. As I "evolve" in the blogging world, however, improvements will continue to be made.
2. Join an ongoing blog recipe challenge. (i.e. Secret Recipe Club, Tuesdays with Dorie, etc.) - many "clubs" require you to be a reasonably established blog (i.e. a minimum of 100 posts). I have recently accomplished this goal so now I'm on the lookout!
3. Enter some sort of local food contest. - yeaaaaa...big slacker here. Haven't even attempted to look for one. Oops.
4. Overcome my fear of the grill. (We now have a grill, however I am a little afraid to attempt making something on it. It's a bit out of my comfort zone.) - another big failure. No attempts whatsoever. :(
5. Take a cake decorating class. - I'm in desperate need of this. I am a miserable mess when it comes to icing a cake.
6. Finally try quinoa. (I gotta find out what this latest craze is all about.) - Done! Made Corn and Cheddar Quinoa and it knocked my socks off.
7. Make something with a fresh coconut. - Coconut purchased! However they last for six months, so I can't say the purchase is a big enough motivator.
8. Recreate the Perfect Margarita. (The restaurant chain Red Rock Canyon Grill makes the best margarita EVER, fittingly titled The Perfect Margarita, and I need to know how to replicate one at home.) - oooo, I think I need a margarita tonight.
9. Make a bundt cake. (The bundt pan was not my friend on Easter, destroying the look- but luckily not the taste!- of my strawberry orange cake. I swore that day I would never make a bundt cake again but I can't let the pan win.) - Done! Baked up a Red Velvet Marble Cream Cheese Pound Cake and it came out beautifully. Also, attempted the Easter Day bundt again!
10. Make my Grandma Min's apple pie. (As a little girl, I remember loving my grandma's apple pie and I need to recreate this fabulous dessert of hers.) - Done! Created a Salted Caramel Apple Pie for Thanksgiving that was reminiscent of the juicy fruit pie I remember.
11. Make my Grandma Audrey's spaghetti sauce. (This was another favorite of mine growing up. I already have the recipe, now it's just a matter of making it.) - Done! Made is for a romantic Valentine's Day 2013 dinner.
12. Find an awesome scone recipe. (I actually made some scones a couple of days ago but Epic Fail they were. I literally threw them in the trash- something unheard of in our house. I have been searching high and low for a recipe that will not let my taste buds down.) - this will probably be my next thing to cross off the list. Got a few ideas churning...
13. Can something. (I'm thinking jam but am open to suggestions.) - Definitely jam or something with tomatoes...homemade spicy ketchup!!
14. Try a Corona-Rita. (How did I never hear about this in college??) - I seriously can't believe I still haven't had one!
15. Make a special day trip to Dallas or Plano for Trader Joe's, Central Market, and Sur La Table. (Dream Day!)...and maybe stop in Ikea while I'm in the area :) - partly done, a trip to Ikea was made and I intend to go again soon. One word: Paradise. - oh I want to shop just reading this!
16. Attend a food festival. - fail. that's all I can say.
17. Take a trip. - Done! Went to Minnesota for a family vacation at the end of July!
18. Go to Six Flags. (It's been years since I've gone and now that we live so close I've gotta take advantage!) - Done! Went for my 26th birthday!
19. Reread The Happiness Project. (Such an interesting and thought-provoking book. A great reference for bettering yourself and loving life. Highly recommended.) - dang it! I keep finding other books to read! (see #20).
20. Read at least one book per month. (I wish I could do more than this but there's just not enough time in the day.) - July: Catching Fire, August: Secrets to Happiness, September: Mockingjay, October: Where We Belong, November: The Next Best Thing, December: 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, January: (see December), February: The Year of Living Famously, March: Gone Girl, April: Last Night At Chateau Marmont, May: The Husband, June: The Night I Got Lucky,
21. Paint three rooms in the house. (The guest room, office, and master bath to be exact. Painting does wonders to a room.) - changing this to two. I put new linens in the guest and the walls now compliment the bedding, so we're going to nix the guest room from this list.
22. Clean up flower beds in the backyard. (I've done some planting in the front this summer, but I want to take advantage of the raised beds we have out back.) - looking for someone to do this for me. will pay in food.
23. Buy an old piece of furniture and refinish it. (Sounds like a fun and rewarding project!) - got the furniture, got the paint. Let's do this.
24. Eat at one new restaurant each month. (We like to eat at home after a long day and tend to have our favorite lunch spots but it's always fun to try something new- especially when we have an overwhelming amount of options.) - July: Fuzzy's, August: Palio's, September: Zoe's Kitchen, October: Big Fish, November: Freebirds, December: Ti Amo, February (two-fer): Chuy's, California Pizza Kitchen, March: Pei Wei, April: The Tavern, Joe T. Garcia's, May: Which Wich, June: Brunos,
25. Marry Nathan. (We've been together for four years. I think it's time.) - this just announced: Colorado, December 2013 baby!!
26. Practice Practice Practice layer cakes and recreate the Flag Cake for July 4th, 2013. - EPIC FAIL. Flag cake is the death of me!! I will continue to practice those layer cakes though.